If you're attempting to launch the game through Steam, and it appears to be doing something for a few seconds but never actually launches the game, make sure you have tried the suggestions in this thread: Windows: My Game Won't Launch Or Is Crashing On Launch
If the game continues to fail to launch, you may need to add the game's executable to your system's list of exceptions for DEP.
You may do this by following these steps:
- Open System by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System.
- Click Advanced System Settings. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
- Under Performance, click Settings.
- Click the Data Execution Prevention tab, and then click Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select.
- Select the check box next to the program that you want to turn off DEP for, and then click OK.
- If the program is not in the list, click Add. Browse to the Program Files folder, find the executable file for the program (it will have an .exe file extension), and then click Open.
Please note that this is a temporary workaround for the Steam version of Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition, Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition, and Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition. We are working to locate the root cause of the problem, but in the meantime this may allow you to run the game.