There are a few conflicts that may be preventing your game from launching correctly. If the game is producing a crash error when you try to launch it, or if you installed the game on Steam and nothing happens when you select "Play", one of the following solutions may help resolve the issue:
- Reboot the computer.
- Re-install OpenAL in case it did not install correctly. OpenAL is a support library that is used for audio in games. You can download it from Beamdog.com here.
Or, if your computer is using a high-end sound card, you may try the OpenAL_Soft.exe file that is attached to this post.
- Make sure all of your drivers for all of your hardware are up to date (this may mean visiting your graphics card's manufacturer's website):
- If the game has run previously, but is not running now, try clearing the game's configuration settings. Go to C:\Users\[Username]\Documents\[Game Name Folder] and delete the Baldur.ini (if you are using v1.3 or v1.4) or Baldur.lua (if you are using any version above v2) file.
- Your computer might be using an incompatible color depth. Using 16-bit colors has been known to cause our games to crash. You can change your color depth by following these steps:
1.) Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
2.) In the Control Panel window, click Appearance and Themes, and then click Display.
3.) In the Display Properties window, click the Settings tab.
4.) Click to select 32-bit from the drop-down menu under Colors.
5.) Click Apply and then click OK.
Uninstall and re-install the game.
- Run Windows Update and ensure you have the latest .NET Framework. .NET is a software framework from Microsoft. If it is not installed, or installed incorrectly, our games, the Beamdog client, and the game installers will not launch.
- (Steam Users) Right click the game in your Steam library and select Properties > Local Files > Verify Integrity of Game Cache...
If you have a Mobile Intel 4 series or Intel HD 3000 graphics chipset and your game crashes on launch, please download the corresponding baldur.lua file for your game from the links below and save to your Documents/gamename/ folder